CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Friendship

Tuesday in Ethiopia is coming, I promise.

Last night at 9:00, I was sitting on the couch writing an email. The doorbell rang. The dogs (okay, A dog, technically MY dog) went berserk. It scared the crap out of me.

I thought, "Well, that must be Heather because she's the only one who would come over this late. But it is late. What if it's a salesman? Or a murderer?" I've always found it interesting that alarm salesmen tend to come after dark. And I don't find it interesting in a comforting kind of way either.

I inched my way toward the front door (which is full of windows, so those outside can see in but we can't always see out. Yes, I know that I should remedy this, but really, when?)

This is what I saw when I looked out the windows:

...with this sign on it

I mean, come ON! I opened my door and yelled into the darkness, "Now this just isn't right!" And out popped Heather and Michael.

Now, it should be known that I am a Stroller Queen. I'm obsessed with finding (and obtaining) THE perfect stroller. I've owned 13. And after much research, I had decided that THIS was the one for Little Miss Fantastic. And it isn't an inexpensive stroller because I don't know how to choose anything inexpensive. It's not that I don't WANT to. It's just that, if you line up a bunch of items from which I should choose and put no prices on them, I'm going to choose the most expensive one. It just keeps happening. David loves it.

They said, "We wanted to get something for Nina."

Uh, a book would have been fine.

Seriously, gas is still $3.78 a gallon, and Heather drives a Mini Cooper which requires premium gas (but gets 40+ miles per gallon, so I guess it's sort of a wash). And really, a whole stroller? Of the Liz variety? It was just totally above and beyond and I didn't even know what to say.

David came out and I asked, "How do you fold this thing up?"

Well, that started a whole big 10-minute ordeal wherein Heather was reading instructions and Michael, David, and I were attempting to follow them. Michael goes, "Okay, folks, how many adults does it take to collapse a stroller?" But we figured it out and it's brilliant.

Honestly, there just are not words for how blessed I feel to have these two people in our lives (and as Nina's godparents). They are THE most incredible, supportive, amazing people I think I've ever met. Heather has been the BIGGEST support to me during this entire ordeal and I will never be able to repay it.

When you're on kid #5, support isn't measured in gifts (especially when the economy is tanking), which is why it was really hard to accept this huge one. Heather and Michael have already given us the greatest gift just by being here for us. For asking what we need. For asking how we are. For taking an interest in Nina, in my trip, in our lives.

Support and friendship, by this point, is measured purely by the amount people show they care about us. I know that Nina is our umpteenth child. I know that the novelty of Liz popping out kids has worn off. But it's still a really big moment for us --- a moment's that's been in the making for over a decade. And the arrival of Nina is as special to us as our first baby was almost 9 years ago. Sure, after the first or second child, all the hoopla that are baby showers and doorstep dinners and storks in the front yard have worn off.

But our truest friends have celebrated Nina's arrival with as much love and excitement as they did Grace's arrival. They have taken a few minutes out of their own busy days to call and ask about Nina or email and ask about her (and the rest of us), to take genuine interest in this major shift in our lives. And to them (and they know who they are --- or aren't, frankly), I say Thank You. It means more than you know.

And, in fact, the blogging community has been fantastic. I've received so many wonderful comments and emails and it makes me even more glad to be a part of this wonderful group.

And because I'm sure it's clearer than the Caribbean sea, if you're wondering whether or not I'm saddened by the reality that folks I thought would be in contact in some way have not been, I am. I'm going to focus on the wonderful people who know me well or don't know me at all but nevertheless have been wonderful. It's just hard when you expect to receive a certain level of interest/support from someone or someones and it isn't there. It just requires a change in perspective I wasn't aware was coming.

But I LOVE the stroller, as I knew I would. Henry asked to push it today in Target (because he's freaking STILL home sick!) and I had to say No. Maybe next week.

Here's Nina with her Aunt Heather!

10 comments:

Dawn said...

That's wonderful! I just did a similar post on how blessed I am to have TRUE friends. It means the world to have that support. Enjoy your new stroller!
~Dawn

Laurzie said...

Ya gotta love Real Friends! They make life so much more sweet!

YEA for your new stroller from a fellow stroller-obsessed mother of five. :)

The Redman's said...

Yeah to your perfect stroller!!! what a wonderful surprise... and such wonderful friends!!!

Trendy Mindy said...

I have lost 2 different sets of friends this year...wow it was a sad time for me. But I feel as if I have grown so much from it now...I know have only chosen to surround myself with people that support me. So here's to new friends!!

By the way love Nina's barrett!!

Jana said...

Wow, what a great treat! That stroller is awesome. Totally understand the friend thing. Some really get it, some don't.

Unknown said...

How wonderful! My family and friends went together and bought me my dream double stroller (the Phil and Ted). Some people just don't get how wonderful a stroller can be (or how horrible.)

Eastiopians said...

Yes, I know what you mean. It's almost as if you get to a stage of grieving the loss of friends that you thought would be there for you (after the anger stage). But, at the same time you have so much love and respect and honor for those who have really showered you with love. BTW, how darn cute is NINA??!!!!! :)

Erica said...

OOOO and thats just the stroller I was drooling over the other day! Yes, I have a three year old and I'm ditching the peg. If I had a newborn I would most certainly want that yummy stroller as well!

Unknown said...

That's awesome! But at 9pm? I'd have answered the door with a shotgun, but, that's just me (and a note to any would-be late night visitors.)

You write the best blogs...seriously.

Dawn said...

I'm checking your blog several times a day waiting for the "Tuesday" post!! :)

~Dawn